Makeup Geek Staffers at the Color Run
As some of you may know, Makeup Geek has two office locations — the store crew being based in Michigan. Many of our Michican Makeup Geek staffers recently participated in a 5k earlier this month called The Color Run! (see other locations for this event) It is said to be the happiest 5k on the Planet — And from the looks of it, it was pretty bright! It’s full of color and smiling faces. Makeup Geek is all about being happy and healthy, and we do our best to live that goal. The Color Run donates to different charities depending on the location. It is a great way to get involved with a charity and an amazing experience to say the least.
Photography by Harold Jones
Each city selects a couple different charities to donate to. In their run in Grand Rapids, MI the two charities chosen were:
- West Michigan Sports Commission - The mission of the West Michigan Sports Commission is to promote Michigan’s West Coast as the premier venue for hosting a diverse level of youth and amateur sporting events, enhancing the economy and quality of life in the region.
- Van Andel Institute’s Purple Community - Van Andel Institute is committed to improving the health and enhancing the lives of current and future generations through disease research and science education. Cancer research is our primary focus, but studies branch out into other diseases such as osteoporosis, Parkinson disease, and diabetes. Our researchers work to translate discoveries at the molecular level into effective therapies for patients.
Here’s the basic run-down:
- Start off by wearing all white, with a little neon if you choose to do so to make you stand out from the blob of white! You are also given a white color run head band that is embroidered with The Color Runner 2012 that you can wear along with a t-shirt that is given to you in your registration packet, white of course.
- A store is also provided at the start/finish line. Sunglasses, hoodies, sweat pants, and even toddler tees are available to support the charities! All of course with The Color Run logo on them.
- You are sent off in waves of 1,500 runners. You can choose any wave that you want, no strict guide lines or anything! At the Grand Rapids Run there were 14 waves!
- Each kilometer you run, volunteers throw colored powder on you (100% non-toxic, basically corn starch).
- There are different colors each kilometer. Grand Rapids’ order was: purple, orange, pink, yellow.
There was a special purple color zone for the Van Andel Institute’s Purple Community. (Amazing purple station, it was everywhere!!)
No pressure. You can run or walk. It’s not timed. The race is open to any one of any age! People were on crutches, wheel chairs, and even the younger generation in strollers and wagons!
They have an exercise plan to help prepare you for the 5k. It’s not a death march, I promise! It tries to prepare you to run the whole race if you want too.
Afterward, huge dance party! When I say dance party, I mean a DANCE PARTAY! As if you aren’t tired enough from running! The music runs through every genre! Even a Zumba instructor came to do a routine! A color throw happens every fifteen minutes. In your registration pack you are given a packet of color, at the countdown you throw the color up in the air and it creates the exciting color cloud!
People dress up crazy: tutus, wedding gowns, suits, wigs, legoman. Anything you want to wear! As long as it’s white so you can get all colorful!
We wanted to participate because it was a fun way to stay healthy and make great memories! The Makeup Geek team is all about staying happy and healthy, doing events like The Color Run with friends and family is a great way to start! A k is not as intimidating as it sounds! It is not five miles it is 5 kilometers, 3.1 miles. Breathe, you can do it! Also, having something to look forward too, like a strict deadline of a 5k, is great motivation!